Tuesday

Arrival in Rome [9-25-09]

After a long trans-Atlantic flight (where I enjoyed a much-coveted empty seat next to mine, and where I where the flight attendants were particularly generous to me on account of my having a brother in that profession who had informed them of my seat assignment moments before I took off), a five-hour layover at London Heathrow, and another two hour flight to Italy, I landed at Rome’s Fiumicino airport at 9:30 PM Friday evening. After collecting my luggage, I called my hotel (about one mile from the airport in the town of Fiumicino) to see if a shuttle was available to pick me up.
“No, signore … the shuttle does not run after 9:00 PM, so you must take a taxi. Remember, pay no more than 15 Euros.”

Armed with this advice, I walked toward the exit doors where three Italian gentlemen, all with the same style name badges were waiting to offer “private car” transportation to my hotel for the same price a taxi would charge. “I’m staying in Fiumicino, very nearby. I’m not going into Rome tonight.” One of them took the pull handle of my luggage saying “No problem, I will take you to your hotel in Fiumicino.”

As we walked toward his car, I remembered the “no more than 15 Euros” tip from the hotel desk clerk and asked how much the charge would be. “To your hotel, 30 Euros.”

“That’s about $45 to go one mile. No thank you …. I’m sorry, but I prefer a regular taxi.”

I retrieved my suitcase from his control and began walking away from him as he continued to assure me that the price would be the same with a regular taxi.

I saw that the taxi line was full of taxis, even at this late hour of the night, and with very few customers. Believe it or not, that’s a bad thing. The rule is: many taxies and few customers = no rides to local hotels. I know that sounds odd. If there is a surplus of taxis just sitting there waiting for a customer, why would getting one to take you somewhere be difficult? It’s not only difficult; it’s practically impossible. The reason is that large numbers of available cabs makes for long, slow moving lines of taxies waiting for their turn, finally, at the head of the line. Idle taxies as far as the eye can see. That taxi now at the head of the line may have been in line for an hour or two. That, unfortunately, means that, after being out of operation for such a long time, the last thing he wants is to take a passenger to a hotel one mile away, getting 15 Euros (if that), and then finding himself in the back of the line again. Economically, they must have a paying passenger going all the way into Rome - - who will pay 80 to 100 Euros for the ride. So, when all the cabbies need big bucks to compensate them for their long downtime wait, and the passengers only want to go across the highway to a Fiumicino hotel to get some badly needed rest, the result is that cabbies have no passengers, and the passengers have no taxies.

Then my luck turned. Along came a shuttle driver in what was almost a uniform, leading two weary Americans in the same position as my own. “Would you like to join these two passengers and share the fare? I will take them to their hotel in Fiumicino, and then take you to your hotel, each paying 20 Euros.” I had no further fight in me, so I accepted his generous offer. Thirty dollars U.S. to go one mile. Tomorrow would be a better day.