Friday

FLASHBACK :: Positano, May 30, 2007


Here's one from the 'vault.'

My family and I took the Eurostar from Rome to Naples to add an Amalfi Coast experience to what was otherwise a Rome/Tuscany vacation.

On Tuestay evening the 29th, as we dined at our hotel (the Palazzo Murat in Positano, see photo) my very observant brother-in-law noted that Positano, although on the west coast of Italy, and on the southern side of the Sorrento peninsula, was actually twisted around on a cove so that it actually faced eastward! That gave me a thought. If Positano faces east, and if tomorrow is as sunny as today was, and if I can manage to wake up before dawn, grab my camera and hike up to the highway above the city, I might be able to capture the scene of the town illuminated head-on by the level rays of sun coming from the sunrise to the east. I somehow managed to make it up the hill from the center of town in time. Thanks, Apollo, for the spotlight.

Click on this photo and you'll see what I saw. A real jaw-dropper.