Wednesday

Tomorrow is departure day. [9/23/09]

Arivederci Dallas ... almost! It’s late at night, and my packing is still not done. Nowhere close. At least half of the difficulty in packing for a three-week trip overseas is cutting down what you’re tempted to take in favor of having a suitcase you can actually pick up, if you have to, and carry it across a cobblestone street. I am hoping to pack lighter this trip than ever before, and that’s why I’m still up trying to decide, as Susie Orman says: “Do I need it? Or do I just want it?”

The photos in this initial part of the blog are ones I have taken in past trips to Italy. You can left-click on any of them to enlarge them. This particular one, for some reason, is one of my favorites. It is neither unusual, panoramic nor beautiful in the artistic sense, but it’s one of those images that is clearly fixed in my memory to remind me of a unique moment in time … a place holder, at once dated and timeless. It was taken on July 4, 1982. I had arrived in Rome for the first time to meet up with a friend from Dallas, Rauhman Browning, who was working in Italy at the time. We were both thrilled to be seeing Rome. It was like walking in a dream. I had traveled the world in the navy, but never had I experienced this kind of immediate infatuation with a city. Here, in the middle of St. Peters Square, a kindly old Italian gentleman was feeding the pigeons. They seemed to know him. I remember thinking as I took the picture, “I wonder if that’s me, way on down the line, coming back, again and again, over the years of my life, to the “Eternal City" of Rome. Who knows; maybe it was. Maybe this old guy was actually me as a time traveler from the future (ha ha). To find out, I'll have to live a few more years, and eventually find me a hat and cane. I already have a selection of frumpy old sports coats that would do nicely.